While the Σ1 Fund is currently a real 100% privately-held investment vehicle, all language and speculative plans about its future are currently (9/28/2010) STRICTLY THEORETICAL. There is currently no SOLICITATION or even OPPORTUNITY for anyone other than Balhiser LLC shareholder(s) to invest in the fund. Further, there is currently no SOLICITATION nor OPPORTUNITY to invest in Balhiser LLC at present. Thus the HYPOTHETICAL and SPECULATIVE language is merely just words at this point and time. It is entirely possible that outside investors NEVER be given the opportunity to invest.
I’m wondering… should I revise my $10K minimum investment. Perhaps $5K-$9K with a ~2% up-front load ($5000 yields $4900 of principal, $5000 yields $5100). Increments above $5K are $1K with an up/down choice. Increments are also $1K for investments over $10K. Additional subsequent investments for current investors are $2K minimum with $1K increments. Withdrawals minimums are $5K or %100 plus optional $1K increments. Additional fund investments are subject to the same early withdrawal penalties as initial investments. ALL requested redemptions are FIFO by default.
Distributions (realized capital gains, dividends, etc) are annual. How they are distributed is TDB. My initial inclination is that there is an ex-dividend date on the last trading day of each month, and dividend income is distributed in proportion to #months held * #shares. Distributions are re-invested by default. Non-reinvested distributions are held in a non-interest-bearing manner until $500 is reached, upon which the total distribution will be paid in full by ACH or check. Non-reinvested dividends may be paid, upon request, before the $500 minimum is reached, but a distribution-collection fee of $50 will be assessed. For shareholders with >= $100K NAV none of these distribution restrictions or fees apply.
75% of redemption fees will be paid to Balhiser LLC, the remaining 25% will be paid to the Fund.
Requirements for potential investors:
- Minimum of 5 years experience investing in stocks, bonds, ETFs, and/or mutual funds.
- Acknowledgment that this is an investment of at-risk capital that may be subject to forced liquidation without notice during volatile and illiquid market conditions. This could result in severe or even total loss of investment.
- Acknowledgment that options WILL be part of the Fund’s holdings/obligations. While the primary target use of options is “covered-call” writing the notion of “covered” is not strict. The fund may consider an RNM (Russel 2000 mini call option contract) to be “covered” by ownership of “an appropriate amount” of SPY (S&P500 ETF) shares.
- Acknowledgment that ETF futures contracts may part of the Fund’s holdings/obligations.
- Signed (and notarized) legal waiver that specifies that in exchange for participating in this fund, fund participant, fund participant beneficiaries and/or heirs, agree to hold legally blameless the fund manager and Balhiser LLC for losses sustained by the Fund.
- Solid familiarity with E-mail and the Internet and Internet-based “paperless” documents and communication.
In exchange for these concessions, the fund manager agrees to the following “skin-in-the-game” and transparency conditions:
- So long as fund assets (or total net unredeemed funds invested) exceed $50K, the fund manager and/or Balhiser LLC will maintain a minimum of $25K invested in the Fund.
- So long as fund assets exceed $50K, the fund manager and/or Balhiser LLC will reinvest all fund net distributions and net fund management proceeds into the Fund.
- So long as FE>$50K. Fund manager and/or Balhiser LLC will be subject to same fees, terms, and conditions as all other investors PLUS will have to provide an ADDITIONAL 60-day advance notice to all fund shareholders (via email or other means) prior to any sale of holdings in the Fund.
- 100% of Balhiser LLC/fund manager redemption fees (fees incurred for “personal” withdrawals) will be paid to the Fund.
- End-of-month NAV reports will be delivered by email to shareholders. (delivered within 5 business days)
- Subject to NDA: Unaudited Annual Report detailing complete fund holdings (delivered within 20 business days). Disclosure to CPA is permitted.
- Subject to NDA: Upon request unaudited inter-year report (delivered within 30 business days). A $250 fee applies. Disclosure to CPA is permitted. Fee is waived once per year for investors with >= $100,000 invested in the Fund.
Base Management Fee Rates (similar, but not identical, to an expense ratio)
- 7.8 basis points per month (0.078%) of previous close-of-month fund NAV.
[~0.95% in simple interest, or ~0.9772% compounded annually]
- Base management fee reduced by:
- 10% for investors with >= $50,000 NAV (or $50K net unredeemed investments).
- 25% for investors with >= $100,000 NAV (or $100K net unredeemed investments).
- 33% for investors with >= $250,000 NAV (or $250K net unredeemed investments).
- 50% for investors with >= $1,000,000 NAV (or $1M net unredeemed investments).